How do I work?
I work “integratively”. This means that I draw on a combination of therapeutic approaches to suit your individual needs.
- psychodynamic and humanistic counselling
- Trauma informed therapy (including somatic therapy and internal family systems)
- cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- holistic approaches
These approaches can be combined and tailored to fit your situation and your personality. Maybe you find exploring the past a good way to make sense of troubling issues? Maybe you prefer to work in the present? Together we can explore what works best for you.
What does it all mean?
Don’t be put off by these psychological terms. Here’s what they mean (if you’re still not sure, please get in touch and we can talk it through):
- Psychodynamic counselling explores your past and the patterns that are repeated throughout your life.
- EMDR therapy involves moving your eyes a specific way (or tapping your body) while you process traumatic memories. EMDR’s goal is to help you heal from trauma or other distressing life experiences
- Trauma informed therapy is an approach to therapy that asks “What happened to you?” rather than “What is wrong with you?” This shifts the tone from victim-blaming to recognising the person as a survivor. It takes into account the impact of trauma on emotions, regulation, physical health and behavior.
- Cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) deals with the present and focuses on changing thoughts and behaviours
- Mindfulness is a specific way of intentionally paying attention. One negative thought can lead to a chain reaction of negative thoughts. Breaking this reaction of negative thoughts gives a mental “space” in which you can learn to ground yourself in the present
- Holistic approaches take into account your mind, body, spirit, community and environment. There is no point isolating individual symptoms if you ignore other aspects of your lifestyle and social networks. Holistic approaches foster a richer, deeper understanding of what is actually going on.
- Humanistic counselling focuses on self-development, growth and responsibilities, looking to help you recognise your strengths, creativity and personal choice
What I can help you with
The techniques I use can be applied to overcome a wide range of physical and emotional problems. If you have a specific concern that’s not on this listed, please get in touch and we can talk it through.
Mob: 07957 219755
I can help you with:
Please take a look at my pages:
- self esteem & confidence issues
- stress & anger management
- workplace stress and burnout
- pain management
- domestic violence
- chronic health conditions
- adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse
- complex trauma and PTSD
- stop smoking
- cancer care
- dental anxiety
- exam stress
- fertility, pregnancy & childbirth
This list is not exhaustive. Please contact me to discuss specific issues in confidence.